This possessió (country estate) is on a site known since Roman times for its natural spring. In 1239, the Count
Nuño Sanz donated the estate to Cistercian monks; since 1447 it has been a private house. Visitors come today
mainly to see rural Mallorcan traditions, such as demonstrations of lace-making, embroidery and spinning, and
tastings of cheese, wine, sausages, doughnuts and fig cake.
The cultivated areas are very rich, including a walled rock garden, moss-covered rock formations, botanical gardens, a pond with a water-jet fountain and a magnificent 1,000-year-old yew tree. You can still see some of the water canal that was used for irrigation.
2 Family Apartments
These rooms evoke the genteel country lifestyle of the house’s former inhabitants. Of particular note are the curtains in the main room made of roba de llenguës ; the study with its curious old medical instruments; and the antique toys in the games room.
3 Dining Room
The main attraction here is the cleverly constructed dining room table that doubles as a billiard table. By turning the side crank, the height can be adjusted for both purposes. The crockery and glassware, from various eras, are original to the house, and the tile floor is also original.
The loveliest architectural feature of the house evokes Florentine tenets of beauty and grace with considerable success. Providing a welcome breezeway on hot summer days and charming vistas at any time of the year, this
porch-like gallery, unusual in Mallorca, is a place to pause.
The labyrinth of rooms downstairs comprises the earthy heart of the home. The estate was self-sufficient with its own oil-mill, tinsmith, winepress, distilleries (for liqueurs and cosmetics), woodworking shop, embroiderer and more.
Cheeses were manufactured in the cellars, using the milk of cows, sheep and goats. Dough was kneaded using a stone mill, to make all types of pasta, for soups and other dishes. Dairy products, oil, wine and grain were all stored here.
7 “Torture Chamber”
A room displays the typical implements – including iron body cages and a rack – used against Jews, other non-Christians and suspected heretics or witches during the Spanish Inquisition of the 15th–17th centuries.
Vicious-looking chastity belts are also on display.
The altarpiece, with its lovely festooned arch, is Baroque; the altar itself a pretty Gothic creation; and the two kneeling, silver-winged plaster angels rather kitsch 19th-century efforts. Note the well-worn original tile floor.
The majestic space in front of the mansion contains four large plane trees that are about 150 years old. Here you can relax in their shade, watching craftsmen at work and sampling regional wines, liqueurs, juices, jams, sobrassadas (sausages), cheeses, figs, breads and bunyolas (potato flour buns).
Traditional music and folk dances are staged on Wednesdays and Fridays.